Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, June 03, 2020

Along the Color Line: Coping with a Global Pandemic and Race Relations Simultaneously in 2020

Sojourner Marable Grimmett

How do woke minds breathe in the middle of a COVID-19 pandemic that is disproportionately affecting Black and brown communities; all while across the country protesters are rising up advocating for peace and justice because of another unlawful killing of a black man at the hands of police?

I am a peaceful protester. For as long as I can remember, I have held a protest sign in my hands waving it in the air among 60-something year old environmentalists in Boulder, Colorado, to co-creating lactation pods for moms at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport and at the 2017 National Women's March on Washington, and most recently chanting “Black Lives Matter” among like-minded spirits walking towards the Georgia State Capitol in downtown Atlanta, Georgia.

I’ve never been one to watch the coverage, but have always been a part of the movement protesting against hatred of every kind. Having studied civil disturbances in graduate school, I understand the history and measures employed by white supremacists and terrorists cowardly infiltrating and misplacing blame against activists shining light via protests of violence against Black and brown bodies. Additionally, the media consistently mislabels protest coverage further exacerbating stereotypical notions of blacks as “thugs” vilified on front pages of newspapers and social media.

The nation is crying for change. And the leader in charge is the worst example of leadership possible, one who has never been detached from racism and one who actively promotes and instigates acts of oppression on all of its forms.

I believe the majority are standing up to the minority of those who hate and are collectively championing for effective and positive change. I continuously reflect on how to become more of an agent of healing as we prepare for the days ahead.

I’m the proud mother of two remarkable Black sons. My oldest son, Roland turns 13 on Saturday. His hair makes him taller than his dad. He is quite, kindhearted, and smart. Yet summer travel plans have changed not because of the worst pandemic in 100 years, but because of the state of America. I am stressed being out with my sons and husband navigating daily errands or leisure time outside our home for fear of coming across a crooked racist who understands their power and fate over my Black family's lives.

The president isn’t acknowledging the pain and agony of our country's state, the 400 years of systemic racism. We are seeking justice, safety, and peace. I stay prayerful for my sons and other Black boys and men. Now I’m entrusting in our teachings and God’s will to protect them when away from under my roof.

Barack Obama is right -- "the choice isn’t between protest and politics. We have to do both."

Some ways to get involved:

·       Start a conversation
·       Get involved -- volunteer, help out
·       Access more information
·       Speak out and share your story
·       Organize
·       Support local and online Black businesses
·       Teach your kids and family members to:

o   have conversations about race
o   learn the best ways for them to be activists/active contributors into their communities        
o   learn about other underrepresented cultures and work towards being advocates and allies for others
o   understand their rights as well as having to teach young kids of color how they can try to stay safe when engaging with police/people in positions of power

A number of people have privately reached out to me, asking how I'm doing and what they can do to be supportive. I appreciate all of this and I think the best thing we can do for each other and ourselves, is to come together as a community. Listening with open hearts and minds, being willing to engage in self-reflective work and active allyship - even when it's difficult or uncomfortable - is what the world needs right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment