Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, July 02, 2020

From the Hearts of Black Moms: A Conversation on Race Featured in Atlanta Parent

https://www.atlantaparent.com/julyissue
"The choice isn’t between protest and politics. We have to do both." - Barack Obama

I’m the proud mother of two remarkable Black children. My oldest son, Roland turned 13 in June. My youngest son, Joshua is 10, and both boys are friendly, kindhearted, athletic, and smart.

For as long as I can remember, I have been an advocate for social justice. As a young adult in Boulder, Colorado, I advocated to dismantle a nearby nuclear facility, marched in the 2017 Women’s March, and most recently joined thousands of supporters for “Black Lives Matter” both here in Atlanta.

As a community, we all have a responsibility to build a strong and accepting society in which no child has to grid himself or herself  against prejudice, hatred, and mistreatment. The nation is crying for change and I continuously reflect on how to become more of an agent of healing as we prepare for the days ahead.

Steps to continue growing:

  • Engage in conversations around race.
  • Support local and online Black businesses.
  • Learn about other cultures and work towards being advocates and allies for historically minoritized groups.

I think the best thing we can do for each other and ourselves, is to come together as a community. Listening with open hearts and minds and being willing to engage in self-reflective work - even when it's difficult or uncomfortable.

I stay prayerful for my sons and other Black boys and men. We are seeking justice, safety, and peace.

Read Atlanta Parent's July 2020 issue here: https://www.atlantaparent.com/julyissue.

No comments:

Post a Comment