Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Baracula: Political and Presidential Halloween Masks


















I usually get a kick out of seeing political and presidential Halloween masks. I laugh opening the door to trick-or-treaters wearing a Hillary Clinton, Bush, Sarah Palin, or Barack Obama mask, and gladly give them candy. However, the latest mask of our 44th President of the United States made me more than a little bit uncomfortable. It is a President Obama mask depicting him as a demon.

Flashbacks of blackfaced college students at fraternity Halloween parties filled my head, and Ku Klux Klan white sheeted costumes blurred my vision. Our three-year-old son hid behind me when I enhanced the demonized “Baracula” mask on the computer screen. “Mommy is that Barack Obama?” he shrieked, looking at the screen with his arms wrapped around me.

My husband thinks I’m overreacting, but I believe this zombie mask depiction of our 44th President is distasteful and borderline racist.

Published in Elephant Journal

No comments:

Post a Comment