Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, March 02, 2012

Sojourner’s Clutter Free Workplace

I'm very fond of my cubicle at work. I've worked in a lot of different environments, but this space I can truly call my own. It's sort of like a "Mom Cave," a comfortable place where I like to get my work done. Let’s face it, full-time working folks (or moms) do spend just about as much or more time in their office space than at home, so we might as well make it our own.

I currently work at a nonprofit organization where the mission is to improve education in the South, focusing on grades K-20. I administer a program that allows students that are in-state to go out-of-state and pay in-state rates. My background is in higher education, and prior to coming to my new job, I worked in admissions at a southeastern university of art and design for almost 8 years.


I share my office space with four other people, so I think it's important to keep my belongings neat and tidy. I also find it easier for me to work and think more clearly in a clean environment. One or my co-workers laughs at me because my desktops stay clean. I swear I'm getting work done, but for some reason can't work with clutter. In order to stay organized I use the walls to post documents that I reference often, filing cabinets to store important papers, and storage compartments to keep track of little doodads.

Technology has also helped to maintain a clutter-free environment. For example, utilizing the computer’s programs such as Outlook help to keep meetings and reminders in order (thus eliminating the need for a day timer or additional paper calendars). Also, using the sticky notepad feature on my computer is a great way to keep a clutter-free environment while allowing sticky-note types to make notes needing attention on the computer. At the end of the day, I have found that living by the following quote (by Charisse Ward) has worked well for me and hopefully for you as well: "Bottom line is, if you do not use it or need it, it's clutter, and it needs to go."


Sojourner Marable Grimmett is an Atlanta-based author who is recognized for writing and speaking about the joys and challenges of being a “stay-at-work” mom and connects with moms, both new and experienced, who have the responsibility of raising a family and maintaining a full-time job. Sojourner has been featured in FitPregnancy, iVillage, MacaroniKid.com, BlackCelebKids.com, MyAtlantaMoms.com, WhatToExpect.com, BlackandMarriedwithKids.com, Fox News, and CNN. She is married to her college sweetheart, Roland and they have two young sons, Roland Jay “RJ” and Joshua Palmer “JP”. Visit her blog sojournermarablegrimmett.blogspot.com follow her on Twitter and like her on Facebook. Also join her new campaign to support establishing lactation rooms in public places www.supporttablefortwo.org.

Published

No comments:

Post a Comment